Sweet, juicy, mouth watering … what’s to stop you going back for seconds?
Benefits of making Mango sticky rice:
- Easy – few ingredients and doesn’t take long to make. (So don’t worry if you haven’t been to culinary school).
- Cheap – less than 5 main ingredients
- Health…ish – Mango is one of your 5 a day. So it counts right?
- Delicious – Do I need to explain more?!
Impress the locals by ordering ‘Khao Neeow Mamuang’
Khao Neeow (ข้าวเหนียว) = Sticky Rice
Ma muang (มะม่วง) = Mango
kaw = I want/ I would like
To order this beautiful dessert, just repeat; ‘Kaw khao neeow ma muang’.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 3 mangos, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Fun Fact – Mango is a low-calorie fruit that is high in fibre, and is a great source of vitamins A and C. It also contains folate, B6, iron and a little calcium, zinc and vitamin E. Mangoes are a good source of antioxidants.
Time: 30 mins
- Combine the rice and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, mix together 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil; remove from heat and set aside. Stir the cooked rice into the coconut milk mixture; cover. Allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Make a sauce by mixing together 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the tapioca starch in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Place the sticky rice on a serving dish. Arrange the mangos on top of the rice. Pour the sauce over the mangos and rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, or any topping of your choice.
Get creative with some of the additional tops you can add. Make it your own.
- Mung beans
- Coconut ice cream
- Different flavored rice – Black, white, red (Bhutanese), green (pandan), blue (butterfly pea)
- Coconut flakes
- Mint leaves
- Sweet coconut sauce – don’t forget to drizzle generous lashing of this
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 25g grams
Saturated Fat 22g grams
Total Carbohydrates 69g grams
Dietary Fiber 1.5g grams
Sugars 42g grams